Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Subject.


The image is sso's. Check his photos...Monday and tuesday had me on the computrainer being poked and prodded whilst doing the 64km time trial. I upped the speed, to 33.4 kph average and upped the power output to 217 watts average. This was relatively maintainable. It seemed my lactate and heart rate stayed pretty stable and i recovered pretty swiftly. Infact the tuesday saw the same average speed, albeit with a few extra watts required (220 average). Seems my lactate actually decreased for lap 2 and 3 of the 4 laps, only rising slightly by the end. From what i can make out this means i can maintain a pretty good constant effort without increasing fatigue due to lactate build up. Its odd doing this with a single gear. Last night i was one of three linked up to the computers. The other guys put out a higher average for the first 2-3 laps by a good way, only fatiguing slightly as time went on. The speed gained (about an average of 2.5 kph) came with a disproportionate increase in wattage. Seems the ability to keep pushing a gear on the flats (which i cant do) is both a good and bad thing...i dont think i finish too far behind overall. Interesting.

My peak wattage i have consciously tried to limit, as this seems to lead to a exponential increase in muscle fatigue. Makes sense. Andy cathcart, the study 'boss' has put a crate of beer down if i make 60kph on the decent...so far 57.1 kph. I reckon i am going to have to pulverize myself to get over 60....we'll see.

1 comment:

Nick said...

220 watts. Jebus.

I can sustain 190 but each extra 10 watts only gains me an extra 30 seconds in each 20 minutes; 5% extra effort gives for a 2.5% speed gain.

I see you can estimate your VO2 max (in L/min) from power:

VO2 max = (0.01141 x Power) + 0.4325

Damn these asthmatic lungs.